Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to make another thread I figured differen question , new thread..

Looks like this week or early next ill be picking up my g23.. But

What else do I need to buy before my first time at the range.. Ear/eye protection? Own ammo or buy there? What's a avg cost for range time and how is it calculated

Do the ranges supply you with anything at all or do you bring all your own gear? I dont want to look like an idiot is why I'm asking

·
Banned
966 Posts
Depending on the range, they may have everything there for rent or borrow including the gun, but here's what I take when I go to the range:

A Midway range bag containing my G23 in a paddle holster (I put it on once at the table, not allowed to wear it in, that may vary), several boxes of ammo, and eye/ear protection. A billed cap is good since Glocks love to spray brass in your face. They would normally supply targets.

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Buy your ammo anywhere but at the range and price will be less, I bring my own eye and ear protection, you may want to bring a rest for sighting in your weapon or at least checking it to determine if misses are you or the handgun. My Glocks all throw brass to my right and back but the eye protection is still a must.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Buy your ammo anywhere but at the range and price will be less, I bring my own eye and ear protection, you may want to bring a rest for sighting in your weapon or at least checking it to determine if misses are you or the handgun. My Glocks all throw brass to my right and back but the eye protection is still a must.
+1 on that. and welcome to the forum. I have a range bag that can carry 4 pistols, countless mags. I also have my own eye and ear protection. As far as ammo, I usually go to Wal-Mart and get WWB. My local gun shop/shooting range charge alot more for ammo and it is the cheep stuff. So when I go to the range all I buy is a few targets + range time.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I like a range towel to spread out, a multi-tool or pliers to clear jams, a small screw driver (flat tip) gun oil and a rag, tape to tape holes up so you can make a target last longer and see what groups you are shooting. A magic marker to make notes on your target if you feel the need to do so, A range or gym bag and if you want peal and stick targets or a staple gun to apply targets

·
Registered
241 Posts
Personally I carry my own eye and ear protection. Doesn't seem sanitary to wear stuff like that when other people have been wearing and sweating in it. A simple range bag with ammo (you can usually get better deals online), spare magazines, and some rags to set my stuff on. Targets I carry rolled up (once again cheaper online or anywhere other than the range). Other than these things you'll figure out over time if you need anything extra.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My Range Bag contains;
* Weapon(s) + lots of Mags
* Ammo
* Eyes & Ears
* Multi-Tool
* Oil & Rag
* Targets, Tape(for taping over holes), Marker
* Gloves (Getting used to glove shooting)
* Cleaning Rod (in case of jam)

Ranges differ on costs but most will rent by the hour. They all should supply or rent eyes and ears real cheap. They should also supply staplers if they are needed, on some ranges they are not. They will have a plethora of targets to choose from so you don't need to take any but you will have to pay for them.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
wow! you guys certainly gave me an eye opener. here in mass you join a club by having a license to carry and money of course usually 100-300 depending on range. you receive a key card which is good 24/7 365 days a year. no employees are ever present at the range, just other shooters. you must bring eye/ear protection and your ammo, guns and own targets. restricted hours for out side shooting usually 9am to dusk. i take a small plastic case which fits two guns and about 400 rounds of ammo and the appropriate mags. once in a while i will take a big plastic case with 6-7 guns and 900 rounds of ammo and the apropriate mags. there is no rental or buying of anything at the range. and since i got a nasty slide bite about 5 years ago i always keep bandaids in all my plastic cases.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good suggestions, now does anyone know where I can get a small range bag with the goodies or do I need to buy everything separate? Would make sense if someone carried a package deal no? Sorry not too familiar with online gun suppliers

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
and since i got a nasty slide bite about 5 years ago i always keep bandaids in all my plastic cases.
that's what the oily rag is for

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have my military issue helmet flight bag for my range bag. I know not everyone has access to one of these but it makes an awesome range bag! If I bring 3 guns to the range, I will conceal the 23, and I have a 2 pistol bag that carries 2 pistols and 6 magazines. In the helmet bag I keep my ears and eyes on one of the two inside side package. If the lovely lady in my life goes with me, I put her protection in the other pouch. I use the bottom of the bag for all of my ammo. I buy my range ammo wherever it's the cheapest. I bring my cleaning kit which is in my military issue 5.56 ammo can. (ammo cans make great cleaning kit holders). I bring my own targets. I like the targets that show a bright color of where you are shooting, keyholes are much more vivid. My range will give you a couple of free targets. I ALWAYS carry my concealed carry permit. Just in case anyone decides to question my "right to own" a firearm. Never had to show it but, of course, it's always there if needed. Also, if it's a new firearm, I will buy different brands of ammo to see what works best. I will often fire my personal protection ammo just to get the feel and "rotate my stock". Many ranges will ask for a drivers license. Not many, but it does happen. A small cooler on a hot day. I think about covers it for me. Hope this helps! :)

By the way, I'm sure that flight helmet bags can be purchased on line or at a military surplus store.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sorry to make another thread I figured differen question , new thread..

Looks like this week or early next ill be picking up my g23.. But

What else do I need to buy before my first time at the range.. Ear/eye protection? Own ammo or buy there? What's a avg cost for range time and how is it calculated

Do the ranges supply you with anything at all or do you bring all your own gear? I dont want to look like an idiot is why I'm asking
By the way, my range charges $13 for any lane, all day shooting. I get a little bit of a military discount, so I get to shoot for $10. You will find anywhere from $10 to $30. Keep in mind a lot of these ranges will offer a yearly rate. From my experience in Alabama, $175 to $295 seems to be the norm.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Buy decent earmuffs, 25dB or more, low profile foldable are good idea, if you can afford electronic ones do it, you'll be glad you did. You'll need good eye protection as well, sunglasses are too dark for indoor range and cheap safety glasses from a dollar store is not a good idea. Those are a must, you'll also want a range bag to keep the above as well as a mags, ammo, table matt, targets, stapler (depending on your range set up).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
any recommended range bags for 1 or 2 handguns.. looking for something fairly small.. not like a duffel bag or anything

·
Registered
960 Posts
For those who has never seen an Army or Air Force Aviator flight helmet bag. They make fantastic range bags!!!! helmetbag.jpg helmetbag2.jpg

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Buy decent earmuffs, 25dB or more, low profile foldable are good idea, if you can afford electronic ones do it, you'll be glad you did. You'll need good eye protection as well, sunglasses are too dark for indoor range and cheap safety glasses from a dollar store is not a good idea. Those are a must, you'll also want a range bag to keep the above as well as a mags, ammo, table matt, targets, stapler (depending on your range set up).
Ditto...on all of that...and maybe some target stickers to patch your targets for longevity...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts