Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
out standing, the last of the holdouts are going to be forced to agree with everyone else......yes

Reactions: ankle.brambledom

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Never give up, never surrender… right is right. Now to the next step, change or get rid of the people that want to think that they can protect everyone

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the key advocates for lifting the ban was a Democrat, I'm proud to say. But this being Illinois, the legislators are likely going to game the system to fashion some loopholes and hoops. Here is state House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie (gun control advocate): "'If we need to change the law, let us at least craft a law that is very severely constrained and narrowly tailored so that we don’t invite guns out of control on each of our city’s streets,' Currie said. 'I don’t want people out of control wandering the streets with guns that are out of control.'”

The Illinois legislature is exceedingly accomplished at making convoluted, nanny-state-like and irksome laws. For example, the legislature here just passed a "Water Usage Fee" -- meaning that any flotation device must have a state usage sticker attached to it if it is on any body of water in Illinois. This literally includes inner tubes.

I think I'm going to move to Tennessee. Much better whitewater and happier gun owners. :)

In any case, thank you, NRA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. After all the federal courts in that circuit aren't exactly constitutionally conscientious.
Kind of amazing. And we have Judge Richard A. Posner to thank. He's a pretty strange bird. Most often comes down on conservative side of things, but is unpredictable. Keeps his own counsel. Kind of a polymath and a judge's judge. Have been reading up on him since he wrote the majority decision the other day. If I weren't married and if he were 50 years younger and also a woman and not bald, I would definitely propose to him. I wonder if he's an NRA member. Here's his wikipedia page:

Richard Posner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Kind of amazing. And we have Judge Richard A. Posner to thank. He's a pretty strange bird. Most often comes down on conservative side of things, but is unpredictable. Keeps his own counsel. Kind of a polymath and a judge's judge. Have been reading up on him since he wrote the majority decision the other day. If I weren't married and if he were 50 years younger and also a woman and not bald, I would definitely propose to him. I wonder if he's an NRA member. Here's his wikipedia page:

Richard Posner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If he was they would probably try to overturn the decision

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
with the recent events in the news I wonder how this will affect the outcome of the state passing CCW laws

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Couple things occurred to me. One, I now wonder if it's more likely that Lisa Madigan, IL Attorney General, will appeal to the Supreme Court. (A few days ago news articles just said she was just considering the state's options, or something like that.) Two, I now wonder if other state AG's, or at least the Obama administration, are now urging her to file an appeal in attempt to make this appeal a wedge at the national level.

If that doesn't happen, I think we're okay in IL, as I trust that gun right's advocates in the legislature here (who are both Rep and Dem) will not allow very crazy restrictions to be put into whatever bill/law is drafted.

Either way, IL might once again find itself at the heart of national attention about guns.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
... I now wonder if it's more likely that Lisa Madigan, IL Attorney General, will appeal to the Supreme Court....
Was at the range today breaking in a new little pocket pistol and afterward spoke with owner (longtime Illinois Rifle Association lobbyist) who said that he thinks it's not likely that Madigan will appeal the ruling -- because she is apparently thinking about running for governor. And there's no way she could win in this state if she appealed the ruling.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Was at the range today breaking in a new little pocket pistol and afterward spoke with owner (longtime Illinois Rifle Association lobbyist) who said that he thinks it's not likely that Madigan will appeal the ruling -- because she is apparently thinking about running for governor. And there's no way she could win in this state if she appealed the ruling.
Yea, sounds like they are ready. Let’s face it they are the last holdout and that by itself has got to be hard on everyone. To think your government does not trust you enough to protect yourself when everyone else does is a slap in the face. Some of them are looking at the revenue; not sure but I bet at a 100-150.00 an app X 500,000 is around 75 million dollars

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Someone from the "old heads club" will certainly try at some point...can't see them laying down on this...hope this stands, though...!..Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Being from Illinois I think this is great. Another thing in our favor is with Chicago loosing population it seems to lost some of it's clout (I hope)
If you go over to Illinoiscarry.com you can see more about the bill that was submitted, with NRA approval, this last week. It's a good bill that's already seen a lot of planning and negotiation. Now we just have to do our part as Illinoisans (and of course as Americans), by writing and calling our representatives to make sure they understand what we expect of them. Let's cross our fingers and hope that the downstate Dems (one of whom, Phelps, spearheaded this effort for CCL) have enough votes to get this through -- because Rs won't be enough. There are even fewer Rs in this year's assembly than last year's.

Madigan has twice since January 1 formally asked for an en banc review of the 7th Circuit's ruling. Not sure if this is maneuvering for a possible appeal to SCOTUS or what. In any case, I think you'll like the bill. Head on over to Illinois Carry. They only ask that we don't discuss its particulars on the forum there (or anywhere else, including here), because opposition researchers lurk on these forums -- and the sneakiness of Chicago pols and their teams should not be underestimated.

Let's hope this state can finally do something smart, the pinheads in Chicago notwithstanding.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Cook county (Chicago) has the highest density of people than any other county so they have more representation that any other county so they have the power to sway the vote but the new bill being passed along as we speak fines Chicago per day if they in any way disrupt the process. Keep in mind this is just a bill but what it does is pave the way for a better outcome

80O2_uMmLqMBfAsjgdYSUAR8nYzkb5WiOj2tm43Msiyv70XuGp_2CCH_hvtrsCyjvj2CPZUQ0ZoaqhnWoFU5nuHr9q2n0Y8f.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts