Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this e-m today...

Attorney General Holder says, "WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO POSSESS GUNS."

TAKES 10 SECONDS ... DO IT AND PASS IT ON.

Guess they were not happy with the poll results the first time, so USA Today is running another one...Vote Now.
Attorney General Eric Holder, has already said this is one of his major issues. He does not believe the 2nd Amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms. This takes literally 2 clicks to complete. Please vote on this gun issue question with USA Today. Then pass the link on to all the pro-gun folks you know. Hopefully the results will be published later this month.

Here's what you need to do:

First - vote.

Second - Send it to other folks, then we will see if the results get published.

Click to vote:

USATODAY.com - Quick Question

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Reactions: blackhawk33

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for this. Just voted. Looks like our side is 97% so far.

For those interested, here is the Amici Curiae (Friends of the Court) brief that makes the argument that 2nd amendment does not support an individual's right to keep and bear arms. It was submitted by counsel on behalf of thirteen "friends of the court," one of whom is Holder:

http://www.americanbar.org/content/...etitionerAmCuFmrDOJOfficials.authcheckdam.pdf

·
Registered
34 Posts
This whole regime is anti American.. Impeach all them
I totally understand this response. I do though really hope both parties eventually see this issue in a way that is increasingly less and less polarized. It feels to me like that's the only way we'll defeat these attempts and attitudes among democrats. Hard to do when one side, as above, keeps ratcheting up the pressure. Still, I'm increasingly finding fellow Dems in my town who really are either tolerant or outright supportive of gun ownership, but who won't say so in public conversation. Makes me wonder that if the rhetoric were toned down on both sides maybe citizens (red and blue) would speak out/up more, and talk to each other more on this issue. I also have to wonder if, because the brief Holder publicly signed is so over-the-top, he signed it for career reasons knowing the position is completely untenable. Maybe that's cynical of me. But I think this issue has become so tribal, and such a cultural litmus test, that democrats have felt like they had to be anti-gun if they wanted to vote Dem or, in the case of pols and DAs, be appointed by democratic administrations. Makes me crazy. Just took a fellow democrat today to get a FOID in a local gunshop.

I really think if you took your most rabid anti-gun fanatic and brought them to a range, they wouldn't look back. Shooting is just too fun to be partisan. If you're a republican Please take a democrat to the range each month. :) It's just that they're ignorant. They literally don't know what they're missing. The Glock Adopt-a-Dem program.

·
Banned
966 Posts
I really think if you took your most rabid anti-gun fanatic and brought them to a range, they wouldn't look back. Shooting is just too fun to be partisan. If you're a republican Please take a democrat to the range each month. :) It's just that they're ignorant. They literally don't know what they're missing. The Glock Adopt-a-Dem program.
Looking for common ground makes more sense, like showing an anti-gunner that guns can really be useful in some situations and lives can be saved, tragedy avoided. Joining the Rabid Right in calling them "ignorant" will accomplish nothing. Would you attempt to get a Republican to like ballet by taking him to the theater and forcing it down his throat? Would you expect him to come away a ballet lover?

People have their own individual tastes, and a gentle, naive type just isn't going to start liking guns because someone he or she perceives to be a drooling, gun-loving Neanderthal forced it down their throats. Continuing to try just fans the flames. And besides, you don't have to convince them of anything to keep your guns. You owe the honor of your gun ownership to the SCOTUS' current interpretation of the 2A.

The biggest threat faced by gun owners comes not from Bob Costas but from a re-interpretation of the 2A that says you and me are not part of a "well-regulated militia." But even then there's no way guns would be rounded up. Just can't happen. It could have an effect on future sales of guns and maybe ammo, though, and certainly your right to bear such arms in the way you currently are allowed to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your post makes complete sense to me. And totally agree common ground is where we'll continue to find an easing of rhetoric on both sides.

Speaking of which, my use of the word "ignorant" to describe fellow Democrats wasn't meant to be pejorative, and certainly wasn't meant to throw-in with more partisan name-calling. I beg your pardon if that's how it came across.

I didn't mean that Democrats were ignorant in the sense of uneducated or backward (or whatever typically denigrative ways that word can be read) but simply that many of us, being human, do adopt convictions prior to investigation. (I think we can all agree that all people do this, no matter what beliefs they adhere to or how adept they are at figuring stuff out). So, I just meant ignorant in a very non-judgmental sense: literally not knowing what one is missing. Certainly that was the case with me. Talk only goes so far, and I guess I was thinking that because talk is often tainted by lies and argument, an experiential dip might be the ticket for some: actually having a buddy offer to take me to the range (a) made him a friend for life, and (b) cost me a truckload of money in ammunition. :). But totally agree, like you say, in not shoving it down ppls' throats.

Anyway, I'm pretty grateful for Judge Posner's opinion and I sure hope future SCOTUS decisions protect us from the "well-regulated militia" interpretation you point to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts