Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of trying to sell a gen 1 glock 17 with 2 high cap. clips with the original plastic box that is in good condition. I was wondering if it is worth any more than the newer generations and if anyone could give me a range of what to expect.I'm thinking hard about the model 29 as think it will fit my needs better and be somewhat easier to conceal. I am open to any advise that anyone could offer. Should i trade it or sell out right,if there is any difference

·
Registered
960 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I've never owned a Gen 1 or 2 so not very knowledgeable on the prices. Did you look on gunbroker to see if there were any on there and kind of compare prices? I think Rowabi will probably give you a good idea what it's worth. He seems like he does his homework on all Glock models so I'm guessing he will have a good idea. :)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum..I use to watch the values of Glocks, as well as other pistols, a lot closer than I do now...I talked with my LGS, and a guy I've used quite a bit in conducting business there tells me there is no "added value" based on the fact that it's a Gen1...some might try to diminish the said value by comparing it to the more updated models...true enough...but on the other hand, you hardly find them around much...so to a true collector, it might have a little extra value, over what some retail person wants to offer...bottom line, it's what you're willing to accept in a trade or straight sale...Sorry I can't offer concrete numbers for you...good luck in the endeavor. I think we usually do better in a sale...gun dealers can be a bit like car salesmen..."Gimme yours, and buy mine"...Make yourself happy in the deal... :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
welcome rick! i don't keep up with the different gen's. however if your gun was manufacturer prior to 10/21/98 and you can prove that, it maybe mass compliant making it worth more than what a new 29 will cost you. there is a big gun dealer in mass called four seasons guns in woburn and he is selling g17 now built prior to 10.21.98 for 600-700 dollars. may be worth sending him an email.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
welcome rick! i don't keep up with the different gen's. however if your gun was manufacturer prior to 10/21/98 and you can prove that, it maybe mass compliant making it worth more than what a new 29 will cost you. there is a big gun dealer in mass called four seasons guns in woburn and he is selling g17 now built prior to 10.21.98 for 600-700 dollars. may be worth sending him an email.
Thanks, 1jimmy...being in a "free state", I forget sometimes that other states have those issues...this can change the dynamics, completely...
Sorry Rick, that is definitely worth checking out, as 1jimmy said...

·
Registered
960 Posts
That's a very good point. I often forget about the gun laws of the different states. Living in a state where this isn't an issue just tends to make me forget about the "less fortunate" gun owners. :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am in the process of trying to sell a gen 1 glock 17 with 2 high cap. clips with the original plastic box that is in good condition. I was wondering if it is worth any more than the newer generations and if anyone could give me a range of what to expect.I'm thinking hard about the model 29 as think it will fit my needs better and be somewhat easier to conceal. I am open to any advise that anyone could offer. Should i trade it or sell out right,if there is any difference
Welcome to the forum!

No, a Gen1 Glock, unless there's something special about it, won't be worth near as much as a new one.

Excellent idea! That would indeed make it special!

rick1963, if you tell me the first 3 characters of the serial number, I can tell you when it was manufactured.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I found a Gen 1 on gunbroker.com. It has one bid but the reserve is $535.00 not met yet. So, check it out if you would like.

Here's the link: Glock 17 Gen 1 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Looking at the pictures in the auction, still amazes me on the simplicity of the Glock from Gen 1 up to the current Gen 4. They just seem to keep the "keep it simple stupid" and continue to produce a flawless firearm especially when it comes to the dependability of a round going "bang" every time you pull the trigger! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a gen2 17 in sept on gun broker with 5 mags 4 high cap mags, plus leopold lazer sight and an extra storm lake barrel for $550 guns in great shape. I just bought some new springs as Im cautious. No one else bid on it. I live in mass so the price is cool

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hopefully he will respond. i took gun to a dealer yesterday and he offered me 350.00 which i thought was a little low as im watching one on gunbroaker that is @ 535.00. i realize he has to have room to make a little money also. Im not willing to let it go at that price so i'll hang on to it for that price as it only has 200 rounds through it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey thanks for the reply, its was purchased right in that time era but not exactly sure when. i'm not too good on the computer but will attempt to contact 4 seasons in mass. its 100% stock so in my opinion its not special. Do you think they could tell by the serial #? It starts with AH

·
Registered
960 Posts
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
hey thanks for the reply, its was purchased right in that time era but not exactly sure when. i'm not too good on the computer but will attempt to contact 4 seasons in mass. its 100% stock so in my opinion its not special. Do you think they could tell by the serial #? It starts with AH
If it's AH followed by numbers, that would put it at February 1986.

Also, these models had their firing pin safety systems upgraded as of April, 1992:

Glock, Inc. announces a production change of the firing pin safety system. This new firing pin safety system has been installed in all production Glock pistols since November, 1991. A voluntary upgrade is being offered to maintain the Glock tradition of ensuring that all of our pistoils are up to the latest standards in 21st century Goock technology.

Most importantly, the components of the new firing pin safety system are not interchangable with the components of the old systam and Glock will always strive towards maintaining this feature of interchangability while working to ensure future interchangability.

The upgraded firing pin safety system consists of: the firing pin, firing pin safety, the extractor, the spring loaded bearing and the trigger bar. The upgraded system is applicable only to Glock pistols with the following serial number ranges :

Glock 17 - alpha prefixes AA - WF
Glock 19 - alpha prefixes through WJ
Glock 20 - alpha prefixes through WW
Glock 21 - alpha prefixes through XL
Glock 22 - alpha prefixes through YA
Glock 23 - alpha prefixes through SK

The upgraded firing pin safety has a new surface finish making it nearly 100% saltwater corrosion resistant. Also, after rigorous and extensive testing, the new system proves to be more durable and has a longer useful life. Here, as alwyas, Glock is working toward maintianing its standard of perfection.

·
Registered
960 Posts
RMD, that is some good information to know! Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't listen to the guys that say it isn't as valuable as the new ones. They are to collectors. I just bought a low round count aug 86 1st gen for $500 with original internals(no upgrades) box and mags. There are guys looking for these to add to their collection. They made a lot less of them back then too.
If you seperated it up (which I wouldn't) the mags are worth close to $100 each to a person in a ban state, Hell the (tupperware) box alone with the bullet holders is worth something to colectors. A lot of people sent their Glocks in for the upgrade and Glock sent them back a different box. Collectors also like it better if it didn't have the upgrade.

I would give you $500 for it in a couple months

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am located in Pgh,pa how far away is your town from me, maybe i could hold it for u, but i would perfer you to see it to verify that it is what you want. I really don't have to sell it and maybe do a little better for you!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts