Glock Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

My latest question in the world of CCW is how to handle long road trips. I've been using a Crossbreed SuperTuck with my G30 for about a month now, and love it. Also have a Remora, great for even less mass and couldn't be easier to get dressed in the morning - I just don't quite trust it with shorts yet. Anyways, I only have those two holsters, and both are uncomfortable for longer than 30 minutes in the car.

I'm a family man, and long road trips are fun for us. The problem is that I'm discouraged to take my weapon on the road, and that's not the right answer. If I keep it in the console, I know I would just leave it there (locked, of course) when I make a quick run out of the car - I feel very visible holstering and re-holstering every time. Not exactly a covert move, and that's probably because I'm pretty self-concious about any obstructions like a belt or finger getting in the trigger guard down there. And then there's the unknowns, like an accident - either involving me or near me - that has me getting out quickly and not necessarily thinking about a now unattended firearm. I'd rather set it and leave it - safe and sound right with me - for the days on the road. Do any of you have a recommendation for comfortable vehicle carry on person?

My thought might be a small/compact shoulder harness, or even some of these t-shirts that have a built-in pocket. Something to use space on my frame that isn't moving during road trips - and my waist is in motion alot. But, I was hoping for some more experienced opinions...

Any thoughts? Success stories?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Glock Sport Combat Holster Ambidextrous 17 19 22 23 26 27 31 32 33 34 the sport combat holster is cheap and really well made and can be mounted with a couple of screws along the side of the seat

594181.jpg

and then there is the MIC. it does night stand duty as well and its a safe way to have your gun handy with the kids around

[video=youtube;F_OGZWoXyyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_OGZWoXyyo[/video]

Reactions: hardint

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't understand why you're disarming yourself in the car. When I put my weapon on in the morning I don't take it off until I'm undressing for my shower before bed. If we take a road trip my holster stays put on my hip. If I feel the need to unholster because I'm uncomfortable in the car with it on my hip (and I add parenthetically this never happens) I just put it back on when I exit my vehicle.

I was one of the first couple cars that came upon a rollover accident about a month ago on the interstate in Yakima. I got out without having to give thought to my weapon because it was secure on my hip. I tended to the people in the vehicles while my wife spoke to th 911 dispatcher. Emergency responders arrived and after giving our statements to the police about what we saw we left. I was kneeling over a you g boy who had been ejected from a vehicle and as far as I know my gun wasn't visible except for some printing. The cop that came up behind me never mentioned it or looked at me crazy.

Shoulder holsters are great if you're going to be standing or walking, except for th weight of the weapon. I never liked them in a vehicle. As for the tee shirt or shirt with the built in pocket/holster, it's a great way to carry valuables, just not a gun. IMO

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I know I would just leave it there (locked, of course) when I make a quick run out of the car
here is a pen and paper; write down all the places you expect trouble and need your gun

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Hey all:

My latest question in the world of CCW is how to handle long road trips. I've been using a Crossbreed SuperTuck with my G30 for about a month now, and love it. Also have a Remora, great for even less mass and couldn't be easier to get dressed in the morning - I just don't quite trust it with shorts yet. Anyways, I only have those two holsters, and both are uncomfortable for longer than 30 minutes in the car.

I'm a family man, and long road trips are fun for us. The problem is that I'm discouraged to take my weapon on the road, and that's not the right answer. If I keep it in the console, I know I would just leave it there (locked, of course) when I make a quick run out of the car - I feel very visible holstering and re-holstering every time. Not exactly a covert move, and that's probably because I'm pretty self-concious about any obstructions like a belt or finger getting in the trigger guard down there. And then there's the unknowns, like an accident - either involving me or near me - that has me getting out quickly and not necessarily thinking about a now unattended firearm. I'd rather set it and leave it - safe and sound right with me - for the days on the road. Do any of you have a recommendation for comfortable vehicle carry on person?

My thought might be a small/compact shoulder harness, or even some of these t-shirts that have a built-in pocket. Something to use space on my frame that isn't moving during road trips - and my waist is in motion alot. But, I was hoping for some more experienced opinions...

Any thoughts? Success stories?
barstool just got me hooked on a belly band holster. It's extremely comfortable, and versatile.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
barstool just got me hooked on a belly band holster. It's extremely comfortable, and versatile.
glad you like it, it has a home like everything else. what I do is rubber cement a Glock combat holster in the pocket so you don't have to stick your finger in the front of the gun to holster 594181.jpg cuts the ears off but not too close to the holster and glue it in and take out the locking tap for the trigger guard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm with you guys, all great ideas. Especially that combat holster part. It's just that my hip holster isn't comfortable in the car after a bit. Maybe I'm wearing it too far back, but that's where it's most comfortable everywhere else. I'm trying to think up carry solutions that are comfortable while on the road, and on me so that I'm not leaving or forgetting it in the car. What belly band do you like?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I hate telling people what I like due to the fact what works for me doesn't work for everyone else. And to put a recommendation on something that you will go out and buy with your hard earned money makes me uneasy. I'll give you as much info as I possibly can though.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
this is the one I have and recommend for a couple of reasons. pocket on the left and right side- gun on one side and pepper spray and knife on the other+ it has a hidden pocket for money and CC's. I added a link to show you BUT watch the size, they come in different sizes so you will have to look. but stick with the brand- well made.

one thing I have done is glue (rubber cement) a combat holster in the carry pocket. what this does is allow the gun to be holstered with ease and locks the gun in place. adjustments can be made with needle and threat. if you go with the combat holster remove the locking lug inside the grabs the trigger guard-not needed

Comfortable Concealed Belly Band Gun Holster Holds 2 Guns Plus More | eBay

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
we talk about the BB; I still have the original one I bought in 1983 that a used to carry a colt mustang in.

you don't have to glue a combat holster in place but slide it on, the band is 6 inches and so it the combat holster with all the taps removed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No worries, I appreciate the advice. Just the fact that IWB is uncomfortable for me in the truck is proof positive we're all different makes. Belly bands might be a good option for me.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
the beauty of a BB is it can be worn at any position in the belly or chest area. it works great with shorts and a tee, sweat pants and while jogging, even a swim suit at the beach. the BB supports the weight of the gun and mag- not the clothing. its not a cure all but one more accessory to give you options

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I really like the idea of this BB for so many reasons. It gets the essentials off the waist when I need to sit for awhile... and it also keeps things up and out of the way when you're making a pit stop - when you gotta go, you gotta go... and the dude one stall over doesn't need to see leather and lead. I see what you mean about the combat holster, sounds great like another great idea, and thanks for showing me the midway link earlier in the post.

Now if I can just find a more convenient way to carry a spare mag with the crossbreed, I'll be right as rain in all fronts. You guys are the best, I'm constantly around here trolling and learning.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Have you ever carried on the ankle? Seems like it would bounce a lot.
But some really like it....
I had a ankle holster once but with the weight of a firearm on one leg and nothing on the other is throws you off balance (my opinion) but a mag or two wouldn't be no problems. we as civilians will never use an extra mag BUT no gun is any good with out one. I mostly carry an extra mag incase the one in the gun fails

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
........you can predict the future? Amazing. ;)
as a mater of fact I can..... I look into my bottle of jack and see me getting happily hammered. so on the other side of "really" name ONE shooting where a civilian shot more then 10 shots in a SD situation.... just one please.... back to jack

and you right; I shouldn't say never but chances are slim... and I do mean very slim.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts