Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In approximately 6 days, it will be Veteran’s Day. I didn’t want to wait until then to express my gratitude for those who have served, and to the families in which supported their Service Member. Thank you for Serving America.

Its fascinating to think of all the men and women throughout time that have deployed to military bases that sit literally across the street, or to far away foreign lands to fight often times an unseen enemy.

I’m thankful for what you have done, the sacrifices you have made, and sure would like to hear one of your memories that you may be revisiting this week due to the Holiday on 11/11…

I’m posting this here because at some point, you have found yourself behind a military issued weapon and there has to be a story that goes with it…

Semper Fi, Dave
riflelogbook

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
well, that was 43 years ago and i really don't have an interesting story. but i would definitely like my m-16 back.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
No interesting stories here either (not to be put inprint anyway). But a big thank you to all my fellow Vets!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I was a little under the draft age but when in when I was 17 (17 days after my 17 bd, signed up at 16) did basic and was shipped off to Korea for a 1 1/2 years before coming back state side. One thing my dad did when I was over there was send me a "vivtar 110 camera" with some film. At the time it seemed pointless being 17 with a lic to drink and an abundance of night girls. One thing I learned quickly "A fool and his money are soon parted" and I was getting a lesson in life. Soon there was nothing to do but take pics of life in a foreign country while waiting on the next pay check.

I sit back some 35 years later and look at those pics wondering what ever happen to a lot of the guys. One thing you learn quickly about the army is that it is a big melting pot of people from all over the world and everyone had a story. We all say we would keep in touch but like men that never happens. to say one never has stories is so untrue, they are just not in the forefront of your mind or for some it might be the best place for them; on the back shelf where they never get touched..... Happy veteran’s day

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I was proud to server under POTUS Ronald Reagan, although, gratefully I didn't any battle time, I did serve during the Cold War and did have some interesting times with some Russians while in Egypt in 1985 during a Bright Star Training Mission. Since I was also an MP I was always involved in real life enforcement situations rather than sitting in the Motor Pool working on my jeep on painting a conex. Good times. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

·
Registered
960 Posts
In approximately 6 days, it will be Veteran’s Day. I didn’t want to wait until then to express my gratitude for those who have served, and to the families in which supported their Service Member. Thank you for Serving America.

Its fascinating to think of all the men and women throughout time that have deployed to military bases that sit literally across the street, or to far away foreign lands to fight often times an unseen enemy.

I’m thankful for what you have done, the sacrifices you have made, and sure would like to hear one of your memories that you may be revisiting this week due to the Holiday on 11/11…

I’m posting this here because at some point, you have found yourself behind a military issued weapon and there has to be a story that goes with it…

Semper Fi, Dave
riflelogbook
Thank you for the kind words. I remember the funniest story I had with my M16. Hohenfels, Germany 1986. winter training gunnery missions with the helicopters. Wasn't on flight status yet so I carried an M16 before I changed over to a handgun. On night "guard duty" walking the perimeter. Very dark, very cold and very quiet. Heard the oh so familiar grunting noise of a "not so happy" wild boar. I was "invading her territory" and she was happy to express that! I realized that from about 50 feet away she began to charge me. Anyone that is familiar with these beasts know how aggressive they are. I never was a great tree climber until that night. I climbed a large pine in record time. Only to look down and see my M16 sticking straight up in the "not yet frozen" mud. Muzzle down in the mud. She stayed at the bottom of the tree for at least 2 hours. Needless to say, my 2 hour guard shift lasted until daylight because I wasn't moving! No doubt, not a combat story, but something I will NEVER forget! :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
like I said everyone has a story, you can take a man out of the military but you can't take the military out of the man

Reactions: ArmyCobra1

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
No matter where you live life of a fallen brother or sister is never forgotten. What a powerful way to say good bye

[video=youtube;xI6TRTBZUMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM[/video]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts