Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this video and after the shooting this might be the future of getting a gun.

[video=youtube;Nv66WBc3XyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv66WBc3XyY[/video]

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
with regards to the conn. shooter it wouldn't have made any difference because the way i understand it the guns used were his mothers not his. i think a big step forward would be to standardize the application process. here in mass as bad as it is for owning certain types of guns i think they have a pretty decent process for a license to carry. you must take a safety course, present that to your local p. d. where you live who sends it for state and federal background checks and if approved your issued a license to carry concealed or otherwise. mental health does play a big part in most of these horrible events but should be scrutinize by health care professionals in general for everyone not just gun owners and not by licensing authorities.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This video, raccoon hat aside :), seems about right. It might get this bad. Medical records are already shared, if I'm remembering right, for an increasing variety of purposes. But, much as I hate to think it, it makes sense, from a government standpoint, to do something like this. If we can keep a firearm out of the hands of a Hinckly, Chapman, or Loughner, without abusing this, the cost-benefit figuring might seem worth it. For those of us who are sane, this might seem like more nanny-state stuff. I'm not sure how I feel about that, as someone who already lives in a nanny-state state: most nanny-state stuff is either regulations to avoid lawsuits or to make money, or just over-the-top red tape, all of which Illinois excels at. But if we can find an appropriate, not-very-costly, and not-very-corruptible way to keep a Loughner from ready access to a firearm, maybe that would be a good thing. Or maybe I've lived in Illinois too long.

And I bet if not psychiatrists, it'll be something like character-witness testimony. For example, a friend of mine was 15 years ago or so seconded by his NGO to work at the State Department as a Field Information Officer in Kosovo after the conflict there. His job, which he did for a year (with a shotgun by his door at night), was to collect intelligence (via schmoozing w officers and interviews w locals) about war crimes committed by KLA officers and troops; his colleagues were former or active municipal, state and military LEOs. In order to be seconded, he didn't just have a background check: friends of his (I was one) were called by the State Dept and were interviewed for 20 or 30 minutes about his character. I remember one of the questions was, "Would you be willing to put your life in the hands of Mr. ________?" I said yes, unequivocally, as he had served in the Seals and is more superhuman (he's just not like normal people) than human.

One thing might be useful: have prospective firearm owners take the MMPI ,Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. It's got a pretty good track record of detecting crazies. And if flags go up after the test, then they gotta see a psychiatrist who interviews them? I don't know.

If something like this could not be abused as a means of keeping firearms out of a sane person's hands, maybe it could work. I almost hate to even think I kind of wouldn't mind something like the MMPI. Ugh.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Most of these nut jobs are all around the same age. When I was a kid these type of situations were rare. What needs to be brougt back is the standard ass whoopings by the parents. Not a god dam timeout!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most of these nut jobs are all around the same age. When I was a kid these type of situations were rare. What needs to be brougt back is the standard ass whoopings by the parents. Not a god dam timeout!
I guess in this kid's case he cdnt feel pain so I wonder if it wdve done any good.

·
Registered
477 Posts
As a member of the "younger" generation, I would have to agree with the number of incidents being on the rise as compared to say 20 years ago. Also, as a full time single Dad, I do feel the discipline factor plays a major part in the mental state as well as every day manners and respect that our children posses. The fact that guns were used puts a target on the shooting community and gun owners nation wide. I just think that the politicians and media are putting a bad spin on events such as this. In my opinion an armed citizen or faculty member that would have no problem going through a "mental evaluation" to carry a gun would drasticly reduce the number of incidents or at the very least limit the number of victims...... But then again, this is just the opinion of some young whipper snapper. . .

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
According to the AP the number of these types of incidences are not on the rise, it just a political misrepresentation of the facts. I haven't dug into their sources on it yet but it's what they are reporting this weekend.

Then you have the breakdown into the Mental health problem. What are you going to do now. Ensure that everyone who want's to own a handgun pass a psychiatric exam? That would be a violation of the Bill of Rights.

The plain fact is that Crazy People do crazy things and most times these things are done where there is little chance they will face resistance, and are Gun Free Zones. We have kicked God out of our schools and we have kicked guns, for law biding citizens out of our schools, malls, Post Offices, Government Buildings, oh yeah and Movie Theaters. What do they all have in common? We don't have mass shootings at Gun Ranges. Why would that be? Common sense is nothing that I would expect the left to ever embrace, in doing so they defeat their own agenda.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
According to the AP the number of these types of incidences are not on the rise, it just a political misrepresentation of the facts. I haven't dug into their sources on it yet but it's what they are reporting this weekend.

Then you have the breakdown into the Mental health problem. What are you going to do now. Ensure that everyone who want's to own a handgun pass a psychiatric exam? That would be a violation of the Bill of Rights.

The plain fact is that Crazy People do crazy things and most times these things are done where there is little chance they will face resistance, and are Gun Free Zones. We have kicked God out of our schools and we have kicked guns, for law biding citizens out of our schools, malls, Post Offices, Government Buildings, oh yeah and Movie Theaters. What do they all have in common? We don't have mass shootings at Gun Ranges. Why would that be? Common sense is nothing that I would expect the left to ever embrace, in doing so they defeat their own agenda.
lol...well said, ZK...!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts