Glock Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general question and thread to hopefully get some of you thinking about something if you haven't before. How many of you spend a significant amount of your range time practicing weak handed shooting or even one handed shooting? I always try to end a range session with some weak handed shooting and strong hand only shooting but probably not as much as I should. I've had in my career more than one time where I had to fight someone off with one hand while getting a weapon with my other. Just this past weekend I injured my shoulder (off duty) so am at home resting and healing. The thought crossed my mind today though that if I was involved in a self defense scenario any time soon I wouldn't have a choice but shoot strong hand only. My range of movement in my weak hand is currently limited enough that I just couldn't use it. So be honest, who gives this consideration when they go to the range?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I shoot with my support hand every now and again mostly because Im cross dominant and have tried to get used to shooting right handed. Unfortunately I just dont find it comfortable.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm can understand. I'm naturally left handed. I shoot more accurate one handed with my right hand although at a slower pace.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I spend some time on it when I am there but I can't train one handed reloads. Wish I had about 10 acres of my own land where I could train they way I want with out range safety controls.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I am guilty of not firing with my weak hand. Next trip to the range iwill give it a try and do some strong hand unsupported shooting also.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i have shot with my weak ( right ) HAND A FEW TIMES AND DO FAIRLY DECENT. i practice a couple of different way depending on what gun i am shooting. if i am shooting my carry gun ( g27 ) i point shoot and can usually put one just about dead center, one at three oclock and one at eleven oclock on an eight inch target at about twenty feet using my left hand only in less than three seconds. any other guns i shoot are just regular target shooting fun guns with two hands. heres another scenario you may want to consider, and i only know this because my lgs owner is a retired leo and was the training officer at the local p. d. for many years. one hand is hurt and you can't use it and you need to rack the slide, catch the rear sight on your belt, or shoe and push. i haven't been able to do that yet but i do try it once in a while.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
...I always try to end a range session with some weak handed shooting and strong hand only shooting but probably not as much as I should...
This is me, too.

I'm actually a decent shot using left hand only; I think it's because I'm left-eye dominant.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Just a general question and thread to hopefully get some of you thinking about something if you haven't before. How many of you spend a significant amount of your range time practicing weak handed shooting or even one handed shooting? I always try to end a range session with some weak handed shooting and strong hand only shooting but probably not as much as I should. I've had in my career more than one time where I had to fight someone off with one hand while getting a weapon with my other. Just this past weekend I injured my shoulder (off duty) so am at home resting and healing. The thought crossed my mind today though that if I was involved in a self defense scenario any time soon I wouldn't have a choice but shoot strong hand only. My range of movement in my weak hand is currently limited enough that I just couldn't use it. So be honest, who gives this consideration when they go to the range?
I never even considered it until I trained and tested with an agency years ago...Even so, I don't routinely practice it. Every now and then I'll think about it and mess around for a few minutes...I can do it well enough, but I should practice it more seriously...Sorry about your injury.. Speedy healing, jbglock..

·
Banned
966 Posts
If living a long time were my goal I'd get better payback investing in a real motorcycle helmet (I wear a novelty) and quitting smoking than practicing left-handed shooting. I'm so unlikely to ever need my CC it's ridiculous, and ... needing it with only my left arm functional? Off the charts I got better ways to waste time.

I have to admit, I carry because it's legal and kinda fun, not because there's more than a chance in a billion I'll ever need it. I feel just as safe anywhere I go unarmed as armed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every time I go to the range I practice weak handed shooting, and any other shooting she wants to do. I ain't no dummie!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speaking about off hand or cross dominant shooting, I read this a while ago and am curious what everybody thinks. I've read that there is a legitimate use for shooting with the "ghetto stance", where the gun is held fully parallel to the ground. This apparently permits the dominant eye to align the sights and is a good help for cross dominant people. I'm right eye/right hand dominant so I can't tell...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've shot at some odd angles but just automatically would prefer going to the ground to keep my gun from going sideways. I'm actually paranoid about over penetration because most of my shooting is in heavily populated areas now. I always try to angle high so if a bullet goes through it hopefully will end up in the ground.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I just completed a three day work weekend and got it through it with just a bit of soreness each night. Luckily no fighting this weekend also. Overall I'd say life is good at the moment. :)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I've shot at some odd angles but just automatically would prefer going to the ground to keep my gun from going sideways. I'm actually paranoid about over penetration because most of my shooting is in heavily populated areas now. I always try to angle high so if a bullet goes through it hopefully will end up in the ground.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I just completed a three day work weekend and got it through it with just a bit of soreness each night. Luckily no fighting this weekend also. Overall I'd say life is good at the moment. :)
"no fighting"...yep, that's a great weekend...:)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Speaking about off hand or cross dominant shooting, I read this a while ago and am curious what everybody thinks. I've read that there is a legitimate use for shooting with the "ghetto stance", where the gun is held fully parallel to the ground. This apparently permits the dominant eye to align the sights and is a good help for cross dominant people. I'm right eye/right hand dominant so I can't tell...
Slight cant helps, but definitely no sideways shooting :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Of course, weak hand will feel strange until you practice. I try to shoot a little one handed, strong side and weak at each range practice. You never know when it may be needed. Everything new thing you try is difficult until you practice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts