Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that when I want a new gun (right now its a Rem SPS 700 Sporter in 223 for a light weight knock-about woods gun), I find something else in my collection to sell...which happens to be my G30SF w five mags...

Why the G30? BC I have 3 other 45s (Kimber TLEs 3, 4 and 5 inch), and Glocks sell well. Plus G30 only has 48 rounds through it and hasnt left safe in 2 years...

Im hesitating though...My grandpa always said NEVER SELL A GUN...save up, and get what you want, but hold onto your guns...Im in a bad habit replacing old ones with new ones...

What are your thoughts...I want the 700...and have G26, G19, G27, G23...but just dont want to give up my higher cap G30 cannon...even though I have 4 other Glocks...

Ugh...so many guns, so little budget

RIFLELOGBOOK - The snipers deadliest tool.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i have some guns that i would trade and others i would never sell, sounds like your g30 is on your do not sell list. rule of thumb: grandpa was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't sell the G30, but that's much easier said than done :)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I too, sell one or more to get what I want. I do regret the sale of some in the past like my N Frame Smiths and my Python and my WWII Lend Lease 1911 and many others. But I have condensed my collection down to handguns that I can CCW (I have others than the Glocks listed below).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I wish we lived in a day when keeping a firearm long term meant that it would be a great investment for the future like our Grandfathers thought. The fact is unless you have something along the lines of a custom Kimber or a firearm where an actual craftsman participated in the firearm coming to life or the weapon is historic then all you really have from any manufacture is the same process by which they made the big wheel back in the 70's. Injection molding is not craftsmanship. That being said I don't buy a gun I don't plan on keeping but if I need to get rid of it I wouldn't have a problem with that either.

my personal note: Of course things will always become more valuable when
1. There is a greater need than supply (UN Treaty/Gun Control)
2. Personal safety has become more paramount then ever before due to a collapse of a civil society and number 1 being implemented.

·
Banned
966 Posts
I have two guns I wouldn't sell, and both belonged to my wife's grandfather. It's not because they're worth anything, although I don't envy someone trying to find and purchase a 1920's Browning double-barrel shotgun, but because they were his and he bought them so long ago. That's called sentimental value. I don't see anything special about a gun you can order on the internet, G30 or otherwise.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It seems that when I want a new gun (right now its a Rem SPS 700 Sporter in 223 for a light weight knock-about woods gun), I find something else in my collection to sell...which happens to be my G30SF w five mags...

Why the G30? BC I have 3 other 45s (Kimber TLEs 3, 4 and 5 inch), and Glocks sell well. Plus G30 only has 48 rounds through it and hasnt left safe in 2 years...

Im hesitating though...My grandpa always said NEVER SELL A GUN...save up, and get what you want, but hold onto your guns...Im in a bad habit replacing old ones with new ones...

What are your thoughts...I want the 700...and have G26, G19, G27, G23...but just dont want to give up my higher cap G30 cannon...even though I have 4 other Glocks...

Ugh...so many guns, so little budget

RIFLELOGBOOK - The snipers deadliest tool.
Being a budget-minded person myself, I would still find it difficult to sell one of my "older" favorites to get a new one. I usually just try to put aside money little by little or put in on lay-away. The lay-away thing works well for me because the day it goes on hold for me, the price will never change. My two favorite gun shops do this for me. Also, when it's on lay-away, I know it's there, it's mine and I don't have to worry about them selling it out from under me. It's good to "hang out" at gun stores and get to know them. I have been pleasantly surprised about how much of a better deal or them being able to help you out in a pinch once you get to know them. I know, I know, not everyone has time to "hang out" at a gun store or anywhere else as far as that goes. But being disabled and retired, I like finding fun things to pass my time!
By the way, welcome!! :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not much on getting rid of guns either, but I'm thinking about trading my G36 and a Remington 788 in 6mm (I have shot the 6mm once in 15 years). I'm trading for a pre-ban Norinco 56S. I never shoot either of them. I can always get another 36, but the pre-ban ak's are getting harder to get.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I've traded too many when I was younger...but I still would, if I needed to. You have to weigh it out, and be sure before you do it. If that's the only way you can get what you want, is by selling one, and it's gonna make you happy, and you don't think there will be any remorse later...hey, do what ya gotta do...

·
Registered
960 Posts
I personally have made it common practice not to sell firearms to anyone except for an FFL. I just feel better knowing that when it transfers hands, it goes to someone that is clear to buy it. By the way, I have made it common practice NOT to sell anything to friemds or family! That covers guns, vehicles, boats, etc. :)

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I personally have made it common practice not to sell firearms to anyone except for an FFL. I just feel better knowing that when it transfers hands, it goes to someone that is clear to buy it. By the way, I have made it common practice NOT to sell anything to friemds or family! That covers guns, vehicles, boats, etc. :)

Good point, especially on selling to someone who is "legal"...always cover yourself with at least a bill of sale...As it is, some of my sales have been to LEO's...and neighbors I shoot with ...regardless, I always do a bill of sale...and I have given firearms to relatives, but make a record in my book...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts