Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How about selling the 380 Auto to none law enforcement civilians in the USA as well ?....

Glock's official line is "The 380 Auto was mainly developed for the South American Market in mind where the civilian personnel are not allowed to possess a handgun in military calibers"...

A few thing are bothersome about this,first for a gun manufacturer to arbitrarily just deciding to deny USA consumers the choice of buying the caliber is pretty capricious on Glock Cooperates part ...

The few that are sold here are sold to Law enforcement, not sure what the reasons are, the 380 Auto is not any better than the calibers most departments already have and certainly wont make them any safer...

I would venture to say that were it not for the fact that the 380 is such an anemic round not to many folks are bothering with this issue ,now had this been the beloved .45 ACP you would not hear the end to the up roar in the USA...

Lastly when governments and militarily insist on having the bigger guns and larger bullets, keep in mind that in the mind set of them vs us that"the them can become us" in a heartbeat or election and that the South American Market isn't to far from the North American market...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Upon checking the Glock Website, it appears the 380acp Glock is the same size as the G19. I would not be interested in carrying that large of a 380acp. I have a small KelTec 380 that I slip in my poscket in a pocket holster when wearing dress slacks and just not being able to conceal anything else.

I guess I am one of those not caring if the 380 Glock is offered here, all other considerations expressed by Alex, aside.

Oops, I see the Glock 380 is offered in the G26 size also. Still not interessted.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lastly when governments and militarily insist on having the bigger guns and larger bullets, keep in mind that in the mind set of them vs us that"the them can become us" in a heartbeat or election and that the South American Market isn't to far from the North American market...
Thanks barstoolguru ...

"Why the Glock 25 model (.380 ACP) don't sale in the U.S.?"...

Answers ,Yahoo...

They lack the required number of BATFE import points. To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110120051329AAn98Kd

Just odd how the G-25 and the G-28 qualify for government , Law enforcement, military folks we pay the salary for with our taxes...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Upon checking the Glock Website, it appears the 380acp Glock is the same size as the G19. I would not be interested in carrying that large of a 380acp. I have a small KelTec 380 that I slip in my poscket in a pocket holster when wearing dress slacks and just not being able to conceal anything else.

I guess I am one of those not caring if the 380 Glock is offered here, all other considerations expressed by Alex, aside.

Oops, I see the Glock 380 is offered in the G26 size also. Still not interessted.
This. Glock's .380 ACP offerings are not the tiny .380's we see from other manufacturers. There's no reason to carry one vs a 9mm model :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This. Glock's .380 ACP offerings are not the tiny .380's we see from other manufacturers. There's no reason to carry one vs a 9mm model :)
The point is we should be able to make that choice not have it made for us by others including BATFE ...

That being said I agree with you ...:)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I went to Wally world and the 380 rounds are more the 9mm so why carry less for the same price. That is why I traded off my LCP for a g26; little more bulk and A lot more fire power..... I don't always carry a gun (not) but when I do it is the biggest on I can hide for what I am wearing

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
My "elsie pea" is always with me (minus military base visits), and usually accompanied by a real gun, in a real caliber :cool:..
Back on subject, I agree with the above posts on not wanting a .380 in a 9mm (or larger) platform...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

That was my understanding. It was the same at the 19 so there was no reason to make a US model the same with a reduced round.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm actually in the process of trying to find a 9mm that my girlfriend could carry. She has no problem shooting my 23 and did very well with groupings. However, with the nerve damage in her arm that prevents her from being able to rack the slide on a firearm that has a heavier spring, she doesn't feel comfortable with it. My LEO friend told me "hey, just load it up, chamber one, add one to the magazine and holster it. She would never have to rack the slide. Well, if she had to load or unload it, she just couldn't do it. So, she is still carrying the Sig Sauer P238 .380. I haven't gotten a chance to have her look at the Sig Sauer P938 which is the same size frame as the P238 from what I have seen.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm actually in the process of trying to find a 9mm that my girlfriend could carry. She has no problem shooting my 23 and did very well with groupings. However, with the nerve damage in her arm that prevents her from being able to rack the slide on a firearm that has a heavier spring, she doesn't feel comfortable with it. My LEO friend told me "hey, just load it up, chamber one, add one to the magazine and holster it. She would never have to rack the slide. Well, if she had to load or unload it, she just couldn't do it. So, she is still carrying the Sig Sauer P238 .380. I haven't gotten a chance to have her look at the Sig Sauer P938 which is the same size frame as the P238 from what I have seen.
Does she not like revolvers?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Does she not like revolvers?
We have talked about it. And, in fact her best friend carries a .38 that we are going to try out next time we all go the range together. So, we do plan to try one out for her. Concealment isn't a problem because it will go into a holster then into the purse. Thanks for the reminder rowabi!! :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I would have liked to have the choice getting a 380 Glock for my girlfriend less recoil and the same manual of arms and hostlers as my stuff ,but the BATFE took care of that...Now she's stuck on a Smith & Wesson Small Frame (J)...Oh brother...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I would have liked to have the choice getting a 380 Glock for my girlfriend ,less recoil and the same manual of arms and hostlers and as my stuff ,but the BATFE took care of that...Now she's stuck on a Smith & Wesson Small Frame (J)...Oh brother...:rolleyes:
Hey, Alex...you could do worse than a S&W J frame...I love the 642 I bought...

·
Registered
960 Posts
just the thought of her having a FTF or FTE while her life is on the line scares me enough. I have seen grown men at the range that had no idea what steps to take to clear a weapon after this has happened. Actually proceeded to clear a few for them myself after I realized they were pointing the gun everywhere!!!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Just a thought...and if you don't like .38, the .327 Federal Mag is touted as having power levels approaching .357, without the recoil...just something to think about. I'd have her shoot anything you're considering, tho...it has to work for her... none of our opinions trump her ability to effectively handle her self defense weapon...To get back on topic, any semi-auto may be harder for her... .380 or otherwise...just my .02 :D
www.cdnninvestments.com/
Some examples on P. 20/21...they make some with concealed hammers as well

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
KelTec makes a small easy to handle 380, the LCP, I have one for when nothing else can be concealed. In fact I have it loaded with Buffalo Bore 380s, with that load it does have RECOIL!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Yep...don't you...?I'm like George Foreman, in that I gave most of 'em the same name..."Glock" lol...I borrowed the other name for the little Ruger after I heard that little catchy phrase being spoken by other admiring LCP owners...
I haven't named the Springfield XD-S yet...thinking about "Hammer"..like it ? lol :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts