·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Archives | RSS
« Don't cry for the frackers | Occupy Little Rock before the evict… »
POLICE BEAT Grade schoolers pull cop's gun on school bus

Posted by Max Brantley on Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Police were called to Watson Elementary at 7000 Valley Drive today after a report of a gun on a school bus.

Lt. Terry Hastings said the gun was in the possession of brothers, an 8-year-old third grader and an 11-year-old 5th grader. The older boy told another student he better not tell anyone about the weapon. Word got out.

Police said the weapon was unloaded and when they seized it, found it bore the mark of a Little Rock police department weapon. Hastings said it was the property of the boys' grandfather, Lewis Smith, a 21-year member of the force. It was not a service weapon but a Glock purchased by the officer following a departmental upgrade of all weapons several years ago. The officer said his grandchildren had visited him yesterday. "He had the weapon well concealed and unloaded but they apparently stole it from his house," Hastings said.

Hastings said the older boy was be charged in juvenile court with taking a weapon to school and terroristic threatening of a student. The younger child is too young to be charged.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
"He had the weapon well concealed and unloaded but they apparently stole it from his house," Hastings said.

Duh....

You tell me...how much responsibility does the LE grandfather share in this...???

Just glad the weapon wasn't loaded...This might have had a much more tragic ending... :(

Guys, this should serve to cause us to re-examine our "hiding" practices...Especially if we have children/grandchildren, or any other young visitors that might frequent our home/business, or anywhere else that we might "secretly stash" a weapon. Boys will be boys, especially kids (boys or girls) that age... They're virtually unstoppable, and they're half monkey anyway...or climb like they are...lol. Take the extra step, and properly secure/disable it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The older boy told another student he better not tell anyone about the weapon
so is this considered terroristic threats now? This stuff is just getting plain stupid now days. Send the kids home and have daddy and grandpa beat the living $s!t out of them for a day and they won't do it again. Now 2 kids who don't know any better will have this on their records the rest of their life. What if they wanted to run for POTUS? oh wait... nevermind that would'nt make a difference.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
........................................What if they wanted to run for POTUS? oh wait... nevermind that would'nt make a difference.
:pAs long as you're from Hawaii...:rolleyes:

Granddaddy needs to be jacked up too, by the way......no excuse for those kids finding that gun...:mad:

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh, the focus is misdirected here, and overdone...hopefully down the line as this progresses, a judge with common sense will see this. Or, as the kid becomes of age, he can get this removed from his record...If the kids hadn't been able to find the gun, this would never have happened, and we wouldn't be having this conversation...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I would be interested to know how the weapon was well concealed. To be effective as weapons we cannot keep all of our weapons in a safe, however if this one was unloaded then it should have been in a safe instead of "well concealed' as it was not readily available for self defense in an unloaded condition.
If a loaded weapon cannot be made inaccesable to visitors then it shoud be concealed on the owner.
This is my opinion only of course and the way that my weapons are handled.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be interested to know how the weapon was well concealed. To be effective as weapons we cannot keep all of our weapons in a safe, however if this one was unloaded then it should have been in a safe instead of "well concealed' as it was not readily available for self defense in an unloaded condition.
If a loaded weapon cannot be made inaccesable to visitors then it shoud be concealed on the owner.
This is my opinion only of course and the way that my weapons are handled.
Homerun...."outta the park".................That's what I'm talkin' about...!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
"He had the weapon well concealed and unloaded but they apparently stole it from his house," Hastings said.

Duh....

You tell me...how much responsibility does the LE grandfather share in this...???

Just glad the weapon wasn't loaded...This might have had a much more tragic ending... :(

Guys, this should serve to cause us to re-examine our "hiding" practices...Especially if we have children/grandchildren, or any other young visitors that might frequent our home/business, or anywhere else that we might "secretly stash" a weapon. Boys will be boys, especially kids (boys or girls) that age... They're virtually unstoppable, and they're half monkey anyway...or climb like they are...lol. Take the extra step, and properly secure/disable it.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I am going to re-examine the stash spots.

·
Registered
655 Posts
so is this considered terroristic threats now? This stuff is just getting plain stupid now days. Send the kids home and have daddy and grandpa beat the living $s!t out of them for a day and they won't do it again. Now 2 kids who don't know any better will have this on their records the rest of their life. What if they wanted to run for POTUS? oh wait... nevermind that would'nt make a difference.
That is a little harsh. I am not saying that the kids were right but they are kids. It is a little ridiculous that there are charges, the whole zero tolerance is a bunch of bull shit.

Reactions: texcowboy

·
Registered
9 Posts
This all leads back to the kids not having parents and a damn grandfather not doing what needs to be done in the household. Skip the juvi and take the belt to them and then do it again. Unbelievable...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts