Glock Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends who are or have been in law enforcement tell me how they frequently run through mental scenarios that might involve using their pistol.

I've been doing it more since I started CCW. My most common scenario where I might have to use my pistol is at a distance of greater than 10 yards even though I know it would be more realistic at 5 yards.

I see myself in church in the balcony or on the main level along the right side or in a food store several aisles from the entrance. Thugs enter with guns either firing or drawn and lots of yelling.

Just wondering, what is your most commonly visualized scenario??

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
another mental exercise I was taught years ago to see how ready you are to shoot someone is to while going through the situations you mention put an mental face on the thug. Most times when we think about these scenarios we tend to exclude the face. Doing that takes the personal connection out of the picture, then when faced with the actual person standing in front of you and looking at you in the eyes causes people to freeze, because now the situation has become personal. If you practice adding a face then you will be less likely to hesitate when the time comes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I never put a face to the body. In fact the face(s) is clearly a blur, if that makes sense. I'll remember that next time.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
My friends who are or have been in law enforcement tell me how they frequently run through mental scenarios that might involve using their pistol.

I've been doing it more since I started CCW. My most common scenario where I might have to use my pistol is at a distance of greater than 10 yards even though I know it would be more realistic at 5 yards.

I see myself in church in the balcony or on the main level along the right side or in a food store several aisles from the entrance. Thugs enter with guns either firing or drawn and lots of yelling.

Just wondering, what is your most commonly visualized scenario??
Anywhere I go, I want to be aware of my surroundings...I don't find myself playing any one scenario out over and over...it's probably not gonna be the one you're "ready" for that announces itself...Funny you mentioned church...so many people think "it ain't gonna happen here"...that's already been proven wrong many times..always watching who comes in...And I try to stay away from dollar store type places around closing time...been a rash of those getting hit...I'm especially cautious using drive thru bank ATM's after hours...(any time, actually) even worse during the holidays...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I would have to say my home (invasion) I train a lot in shoot and no shoot areas. I practice How to round a corner and keep the most coverage but be able to push the BG out a door. A laser trainer adds to the scenario and has my woman hang tee shirts in different places to represent BG's

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I would have to say my home (invasion) I train a lot in shoot and no shoot areas. I practice How to round a corner and keep the most coverage but be able to push the BG out a door. A laser trainer adds to the scenario and has my woman hang tee shirts in different places to represent BG's
Man that's cool...but how would you get the BG's to wear those t shirts... ?....... :rolleyes:
JK...that's cool training, but in my home we like the 12 gauge

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm an leo and think about it every day. Even on my off days. It has come close but luckily I haven't had to do it yet. Off duty I think of the ambush from someone I've dealt with before but don't remember.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
My favorite scenerio is, its late at night and I look up and Pam Anderson enters the room wearing........oh, never mind.

Reactions: jbglock

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Man that's cool...but how would you get the BG's to wear those t shirts... ?....... :rolleyes:
JK...that's cool training, but in my home we like the 12 gauge
they make snap caps for shotguns so now all you have to do is modify a plug to hold a laser trainer and activates it so it omits a beam of light when the trigger is pulled( laser trainers work off of sound, snapping of the trigger). You would be surprised what you learn in these dry runs even with a shot gun; it’s not as easy as you might think trying to be stealthy. With a hand gun and a laser trainer you learn how quickly you can be off target or get a piece of them as to where they can shoot back

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm sure that's effective...Have a different system in place.....R&A, backed up by M&S, GIW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts