Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thing is, many people don’t even start out correctly learning how to master the trigger. In other words, they don’t put their finger on the trigger in the proper place from the beginning and that obviously affects the rest of their shooting.
I thought this was worth sharing

Where to Put Your Finger on the Trigger? - USA Carry

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
It works for me to use the middle of the first pad of my trigger finger, if I use the crease I usually pull the shot to the left.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works for me to use the middle of the first pad of my trigger finger, if I use the crease I usually pull the shot to the left.
I totally agree, all my life I have been taught to use the first pad so it hear that he is saying the first joint is surprising

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Me 3 for pad shooting. I believe the joint was useful for the heavy double action revolvers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pressing the trigger with the center of the first pad is as deep as I can go without pulling to the right

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's just not what I've been worried about when I'm shooting. I've never been schooled on proper trigger finger placement. I'll have to check and see what I use as my comfortable shooting position, and perhaps try some modification to see if it helps my accuracy.

·
Registered
960 Posts
First pad on the trigger finger works quite well for me also. When I go any farther than that, I have a tendency to pull right. (I'm a lefty)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
over the years I have seen different shooting styles but the most controversial is pulling the trigger with the middle finger and using the index finger to aim with.

How to Point and Shoot or P&S - wikiHow

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have tried the P&S thing but it goes against everything I was tough so it’s a real fight to do it

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
That's what I'm sayin'...between the years in the Army, and years of civilian shooting/training...can't even entertain such a thought...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
However, nationally known firearms instructor Massad Ayoob is someone who uses the crease of the first knuckle and he’s an excellent shot. So here’s what I recommend you do the next time you go to the shooting range:
I think with the extensive training and thousands of dollars of ammo if you could stick your entire hand in the trigger up to your elbow you could shoot great too. The point is basics. In a stressful situation you more likely to revert to muscle memory from your training of proper finger placement.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A cop friend in Washington DC way back in the day when they traded out their revolvers for the G-17 gen 1 he was given one for on duty and was able to buy 3 thru the department for personal use at the department price. He called to see if I was interested in one and I said sure. We did it leagle as we met at our local gs he gave the gun to the manager, I gave him the money and then paid like 10 buck for the transfer and paperwork. I took it to the range and learned REAL fast I hated Glocks. I could not shoot the broadside of a barn. So I traded it in for something I really dont remember what.Now lets move ahead to 1999. I was going shooting one saturday with a few of my own guns and decided to rent a G-19. This is the first time I held a Glock since my first one. While shooting the 19 I was having the same problem so I figured either I was a BAD shot or the gun was just junk. As luck would have it the gunsmith was in the range testing a gun he had done some work on and I asked him what in the heck am I doing wrong. I shoot all my other guns just fine. He said run another mag and I will watch you. He stoped me after the 4th round and said let him try something. I gave it to him and he droped the mag out and took the one out of the chamber and then showed me the way he does it. This is when I learned the proper finger pad position for the Glock and then we loaded it back up and what a differance that made. Since 1999 I have owned a few Glocks. Currently I own 2 and there will be more. Sorry if this was a little long winded. Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts