Glock Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short, the best course of action is to never rechamber–or set a hard and fast rule like no more than twice–the same ammo in your handgun to avoid dying if you ever need your handgun to save your life (or having it blow up in your face).

After I posted that article, I had a few comments and one of them pointed out that the same is even MORE true for the AR-15 and it’s so important we’ll talk about that today.

To recap, there are two main problems with unloading and reloading the same ammunition multiple times.

1.) Bullet Setback.

2.) Primer Damage.

In the article I shared on not reloading handgun carry ammo, the finding of the ammo manufacturer said, ” … the cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times.”

So repeatedly chambering the same round in your handguns can ruin the primer mix and cause the round to misfire.

But it’s even more important in the AR-15.

The AR-15 With Its Floating Firing Pin Actually Taps The Primer Every Time You Load It

this was some good info that I wanted to pass along. I understood bullet setback but the primer mix being knocked out of the primer pocket was a new one to me

Why you should NEVER rechamber the same AR-15 round twice | Prepared Gun Owners

Reactions: Taxman and JWR

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Same thing if you do it to many times with handgun ammo.
If you do throw it in a cup and wait till you get to the range to shoot it. Second chances out on the street rarely happen.
(that's another advantage though with having a revolver)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm gonna break out the micrometer tonight and rechamber one round a few dozen times and see what happens. Very interesting info BTY. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm gonna break out the micrometer tonight and rechamber one round a few dozen times and see what happens. Very interesting info BTY. Thanks.
I have been recambering the same round for about a year now waiting for setback and so far none (zombie max) and the bullet never moved BUT now with the primer thing I'm gonna rethink using the bullet for SD

Reactions: JWR

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Huh. Interesting.

I have been swapping the same Hydra Shok .45 rounds around in a couple of mags for the past 10 years or so. When I go out shootin.
I dump my carry ammo, and load up "Range" rounds. Then come home, clean, and reload with the Hydra shoks. They have been with me...10 years or more...
Thanks to Mr. T, aggravating me...and he's probably right... bein outdated. I still love the Hydra shok though.

Went out and bought some Federal HST. I just love that little mushroom puppy with the HST.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
I have some Hornady CD's in my desk drawer. They set back. I have my mic in the house. Remind me and I'll measure them later. Either crappy crimp or no Acken-pooky applied at the factory. After discovering the problem I started loading and unloading the same Remington 100rd bulk JHP green and white box UMC. I marked it with a permanent Sharpie. It never moved.

BTW Hi-Point mentions shaking old ammo to loosen up the powder in their manuals with their guns. I forget all the reasons.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
BTW you shouldn't chamber an AR15rd in the house just in case the primer is softer than normal, or if the FP hits it too hard.

My brother reloads. Got some Tula primers. He reloaded 110 or so rounds of .223 or 5.56. It converted his DPMS into a 2-3rd burst weapon until he figured out they were too soft. It was all he could find at the time!

Reactions: barstoolguru

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW Hi-Point mentions shaking old ammo to loosen up the powder in their manuals with their guns. I forget all the reasons.
I bet its "caking", by shaking it they reintroduce air into the powder for an even burn

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'll rechamber a round twice, and then move it into the mag, and chamber a fresh round. After I've gone through the whole mag, I'll get rid of it at the range and reload with fresh ammo.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
BTW you shouldn't chamber an AR15rd in the house just in case the primer is softer than normal, or if the FP hits it too hard.
Just in case anyone here doubts this, it has happened to me. Yes, in the house. Before that incident, I would have been one of the doubters. I had hit the bolt release on a loaded mag literally thousands of times on 8 different M16/AR15 rifles/carbines without incident and without thinking it was a possibility. Yes, it was number 8 that did it and it was with Hornady factory ammo. Of course I had the weapon pointed in a safe direction and all that I ended up with was a hole in the drywall and in the hardi plank siding of my back bedroom before the bullet went into the ground outside the house.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I broke out my micrometer this afternoon after cleaning and found that the buller does seat some. Starting out it measured 1.113" and after rechambering it about a dozen times it lost 0.024". Twenty-four thousandths isn't that much but it will add up over time if you do this enough. Very interesting stuff that I would have never thought of myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
OK here is some numbers on the 3, bad to worse! Hornady Critical Defense or Duty I forget which.

1.1135"
1.0615"
1.0450"

KB's in the making!

Reactions: Taxman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts